Learn about Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), a tragic hidden crisis among the adoptive and fostering community.
Access a library of articles for caregivers and service providers, and information on support groups and resource recommendations
Find a list of related resources including book reviews, websites and organizations, legal and other specialized resources
- What is Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)? - Explore the complexities of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), a mental disorder resulting from adverse childhood experiences (ACES). Uncover the causes and impact of developmental trauma on children, and the challenges faced by parents. Learn how therapeutic parenting strategies can transform the constant tug-of-war with RAD-diagnosed children. Discover the power of dropping your side of the rope, building relationships, and prioritizing effective communication. With patience and perseverance, therapeutic parenting offers hope for navigating the challenges of RAD and improving parent-child dynamics.
- Signs and symptoms of Reactive Attachment Disorder - Reactive Attachment Disorder symptoms, survey results
- What is Developmental Trauma - To better serve children with developmental trauma, Kolk has proposed adding a new diagnosis to the DSM called Developmental Trauma Disorder (DTD). The new diagnostic criteria requires exposure to chronic trauma before the age of 5. This diagnosis would fully encompass the symptoms of developmental trauma bringing them under one umbrella.
- Demons and Saviors: The unexplored side of Hulu’s documentary on Christina Boyer - “Demons and Saviors” is a perplexing story about Christina Boyer's paranormal powers and her daughter's tragic murder. Answers not included in the documentary may be found in the potential connection to Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), a little-known mental health disorder caused by early childhood trauma. 30 years later -- Christina's tragic story calls for a reevaluation of the still broken child welfare and mental health systems, and the need for greater awareness of early childhood disorders like RAD.
- Here’s what being a RAD mama looks like… - In addition to being a RAD mama, I’m also a chicken mama. This is Chicken Nugget, my favorite hen (she…
- What to consider before telling your RAD parenting story - RAD parents have unbelievable, and unbelievably important, stories to tell. Too often the issues around parenting kids with complex mental…
- How to discipline a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) – Part II - Behavior modification isn’t effective because kids with RAD often lack cause and effect thinking and are not sufficiently motivated by rewards. Here's what does work.
- 5 reasons why this book is perfect for anyone in your life who doesn’t “get it” - But He Spit in my Coffee is a memoir about an adoptive family's struggle to find Reactive Attachment Disorder treatment. This is why it's a useful book to give family, friends, and others who make up your support system.
- YouTube: Do kids with RAD misbehave on purpose? -
- RAD… or just “normal” teenager stuff? - Parenting a teenager is hard. And…parenting a teenager who has RAD is even harder. Here’s the thing—sometimes we blame RAD…
- Reimagining Success as a RAD Parent #NAVRAD22 - Keri Williams, author and award winning talks about how we can redefine success as parents of kids with Reactive Attachment DIsorder (RAD) and find a way forward. #NAVRAD22
- A Chat about the Reality and Strategies Through the Hard Work of RAD #NAVRAD22 - Tracey of RAD Talk interviews an adoptee who was diagnosed as a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) but is now thriving. @ NAVRAD22
- Residential treatment options for children with Reactive Attachment Disorder #NAVRAD22 - Best Choice Admissions presents the free services they offer parents who are looking for an out of home placement for their child who has Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) @ #NAVRAD22
- Glass Children: The Impact of RAD on Siblings #NAVRAD22 - Monica Badgley, of RADSibs, and a panel of young people talk about the impact of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) on siblings and give their advice to parents @ #NAVRAD22
- Determining What You Have Left as a Family and Ideas to Move Forward #NAVRAD22 - Carrie O'Toole, board-certified Christian life coach, shares practical ideas for families caring for a child with Reactive Attachment Disorder(RAD) at #NAVRAD22
- RAD and its relationship to mental health disorders #NAVRAD22 - Dr. John F. Alston, psychologist and expert on attachment disorders, shares about co-existing disorders with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and their effective medical treatment @ #NAVRAD22
- “Why Am I Feeling Crazy?”: The Life of RAD Parenting” #NavRAD22 - Forrest Lien, LCSW and expert on trauma and Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), talks about the disorder @ #NAVRAD22 #NavRAD
- Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) visualization: Restoring empathy - Here’s a meditation from Chel Hamilton created especially for RAD moms to help us recenter and return to that place…