Learn about Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD), a tragic hidden crisis among the adoptive and fostering community.
Access a library of articles for caregivers and service providers, and information on support groups and resource recommendations
Find a list of related resources including book reviews, websites and organizations, legal and other specialized resources
- What it’s like being the sibling of a child with RAD - “It’s like living in a prison. We can’t go anywhere. All doors are locked. Alarms everywhere. We can’t have friends…
- What is Developmental Trauma - To better serve children with developmental trauma, Kolk has proposed adding a new diagnosis to the DSM called Developmental Trauma Disorder (DTD). The new diagnostic criteria requires exposure to chronic trauma before the age of 5. This diagnosis would fully encompass the symptoms of developmental trauma bringing them under one umbrella.
- Parents of kids with Reactive Attachment Disorder: 10 Unfortunate truths you must know - Let’s strip away the platitudes and talk about surviving. Here’s my unfiltered, pragmatic RAD-parent-to-RAD-parent advice.
- How to Discipline a Child with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) - It’s the million-dollar question. How do we manage the behavior of children with RAD? Therapeutic approaches can seem scarily permissive.…
- The Secret Next Door (Child on Parent Violence) - Child-on-parent violence is at epidemic levels in some families. However, it's a taboo topic in our society and there's little help available for parents or children.
- The ugly truth about trauma - Understanding the devastating impact of early childhood trauma requires a paradigm shift. It's invisible to the untrained eye so we tend to minimize its severity, but it's like a huge gaping trauma wounds.
- Christmas Gift List for kids in Residential Treatment Facilities (RTFs) - It can be challenging to Christmas shop for kids who are living in residential treatment facilities (PRTFs, RTFs, or group…
- The Struggle For Love – How it All Began - Learn how ambition for adoption and loving a child blinded me to the challenges of loving and raising trauma affected children.
- A Dad’s Struggle Accepting Reactive Attachment Disorder Diagnosis - Learn about a Dad's struggle with awareness and acceptance of a Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) diagnosis and helpful tips to overcome the challenge of accepting related Developmental Trauma Disorders.
- Joker: A warning we should heed - Joker reflects a reality we are already seeing in our society today. Early childhood trauma is at epidemic levels. Our mental health system is in disarray. We aren't meeting the needs of the vulnerable around us and sometimes violence and tragedy are the price we pay as a society.
- Yoga at school may help your child, but what about mine? - Schools are beginning to incorporate yoga into their curriculum and disciplinary programs - but does that really work for kids with developmental trauma?
- Here’s what “trauma informed” looks like… - Due to startling research on the impacts of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) on children, there is emphasis on “trauma informed…
- 5 creative ways to foster attachment - Kids with attachment difficulties need opportunities to encourage them to form bonds with their caregivers. Here are 5 creative attachment ideas.
- The Special Needs of Adopted Children – Bible Verses - Here's a list of twenty things adoptive families need from Sherrie Eldridge including Bible verses.
- Tips to work with your child’s school (includes free teacher handout) - I can’t tell you how many days I’ve navigated through carline with a drink holder full of steaming hot cups…